Follow the Vikings is a transnational project funded by Creative Europe that promotes Viking heritage. It aims to broaden the visitor audience to sites, museums, and attractions relating to the Viking story and its legacy. In 2018, The Shetland Amenity Trust alongside the Destination Viking Association (involving 24 partners from across Europe and Scandinavia) appointed NB to redevelop the Follow the Vikings project website.
NB was tasked with a full redesign of the Follow the Vikings website. The aim was to create an inspiring, informative website promoting the story of the Vikings, which would reach a wide audience and stimulate interest in the Viking Cultural Route. The website had to provide users with a high-quality online experience when interacting and learning about Vikings. A key challenge was presenting the Viking Cultural Route in a way that showcased each destination equally on the website, in an easy to use and visually appealing manner.
NB has created a new website, leading with impactful imagery, which is bold and powerful in portraying the history of the Vikings. The homepage offers plenty to explore and navigate, taking users on a seamless virtual tour through Viking history. The site includes a wide range of functionality, including:
- An interactive map featuring multiple layers of inspirational content
- Visit and Events sections, filterable by various tags and categories
- A timeline of history to allow users to experience and learn
- A membership renewal system to automate the process into an easy-to-use online resource
- A secure login area for Members, including access to galleries, documents, membership renewal and social groups
- An innovative online application form for potential new Members, with an automated system to make the approval and purchase process seamless