The imminent opening of the 38th Shetland Folk Festival seems like the perfect time to continue our 'meet the team' series with a profile of Chris Thomson. By day, Chris is heavily involved in the development of our biggest projects, but by night, he makes up a quarter of Shetland’s First Foot Soldiers. Chris’ role in the First Foot Soldiers is on the keys, rhythm guitar and vocals, but at NB Communication his focus is on ensuring the sites that he develops are good looking, functional, effective and efficient. Chris has been heavily involved in some of NB’s most exciting projects to date launching sites for www.orkney.com, www.ospar.org, www.shetlandarts.org and www.shetlandfolkfestival.com.
To get to know Chris a little more, we have asked him a series of fun questions that will hopefully give you a little glimpse into his life.
1. Tell us a surprising fact about yourself?
I'm a trained music teacher.
2. What are your top 3 life highlights?
- 2 weeks solo in a tent in Amsterdam to recover from the above
- 10 days in Iceland driving the Ring Road
- Owning a house
3. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you and why?
Domhnall Gleeson, he's the top ginger actor.
4. If you could be any animal, which would you be?
5. What are your three most overused words/phrases?
- Bairns Bairns (when talking to the cats)
6. What's the coolest thing you’re working on right now?
I've just started the redevelopment of the Orkney.com site which I'd originally developed a few years back. The strategy and design work that's been done on the redevelopment project has been excellent and I'm aiming to sustain the high bar that's been set. I think it'll be a cracking site when it goes live later this year.
7. What's the best meal you’ve ever had?
Can't remember, great meals normally involve great wine.
8. If you could live in any period of history, when would it be?
Very hard to choose. Today I'll go for sometime during Sumer (4500 - 1900 BC),
9. What is the most important personal attribute that you bring to your job?
Probably that I find problem solving somewhat addictive.
10. What technology innovation made the most impact on your life?
11. What would you name your boat if you had one and why?
Eglentine after the witch in Bedknobs & Broomsticks.
12. How would you convince someone to visit the place you love the most?
Reverse psychology, doesn't work every time!