Matthew has been a web developer at NB Communication since 2012, and has been involved with a wide range of technical projects in that time.
In addition to developing ‘traditional’ websites, he has been involved in producing web-based applications for clients with bespoke needs. Examples include booking systems and complex e-commerce customisations.
Matthew's main skills include:
- Map-based data visualisation
- Complex database analysis (for reporting/performance improvements)
- Knowledge of server hardware/software
Performance is always at the front of Matthew's mind, and he is keen to ensure that the systems he develops are as fast as possible whilst conforming to web standards. Part of this involves working with new technologies and implementing them into his everyday workflow.
Key moments in Matthew's time at NB Communication so far include:
- Close involvement in the technical aspects of developing, launching and maintaining the Shetland.org site
- Developing the "Shetland in a Box" widget for Promote Shetland which allows third parties such as Visit Scotland and Northlink to share content from the 60 North platform on their own sites.
- Developing the Venture North Heritage App for both the web and as stand-alone apps for iOS and Android
- Creating the Podcast section of the Shetland Times website
When Matthew is not pushing the limits of modern technology he's pushing the limits of modern comedy as a founding member of Shetland Comedy, a group dedicated to promoting comedy within the Shetland Islands. He's also a member of The Imposters, Shetland's first (and greatest) improv comedy troupe. As an Imposter Matthew hosts semi-frequent improv comedy nights that, based purely on audience suggestions, have entertained audiences for over a year.